Third Offense DUI

Criminal Defense Picture

Third Offense DUI in California

If you or a loved one has been charged with or is being investigated for a third offense DUI, you should promptly contact an experienced DUI attorney to defend you and guide you throughout the criminal process. The H Law has aggressive Los Angeles DUI attorneys who are here to help you get your life back on track. Call us and schedule your free consultation at (213) 370-0404.


Usually, third DUI charges are brought against those who have been convicted of drunk driving twice in the past ten (10) years. So, if third time DUI charges are brought against, you should immediately hire an experienced DUI lawyer because the consequences of being convicted of a third offense DUI are major and can alter your life, especially when it comes to the suspension of your driving privileges and the mandatory time that you’ll have to spend in jail. Our law firm serves all of Southern California, including but not limited to Orange County, Los Angeles County, Riverside County, Ventura County, Riverside County, Kern County, and all of Southern California.


A person who is convicted of a DUI third offense will have his driver’s license suspended. The DMV suspension for a third offense DUI is twelve (12) months, and if you’re convicted, the court will order a three (3) years suspension of your driver’s license. During the suspension of your driver’s license, you may be eligible to receive a restricted driver’s license after 180 days (6 months) of having your license suspended. If you get a restricted driver’s license, you will be able to only drive to and from work only if you agree to install an IID (ignition interlock device). An IID is a device that only allows you to operate your vehicle if it does not detect any alcohol in your breath. As such, if you’ve been charged with a third DUI, you should immediately contact an attorney to represent you and get your driver’s license back. The H Law Group has some of the Best DUI lawyers in Los Angeles and Southern California. Our attorneys will do their best to achieve the best possible outcome for you.


If convicted of a third time DUI, an individual must spend a mandatory 120 days in jail, pay a fine of up to $1,000, complete a 30-month alcohol/drug program, and the DMV must revoke your driver’s license for three (3) years, and the court may revoke your driver’s license for up to 10 years. So, don’t take a third time DUI charges lightly as the consequences of being convicted are life-changing for most people. Many of our clients can’t live without their license for 30 days, let alone three (3) years. So, if you’ve been charged with a third time DUI, you should immediately contact the Southern California – Los Angeles DUI Lawyers at the H Law Group to represent you in court, as well as throughout the criminal process. Our attorneys have a ton of experience defending those who are charged with third-time DUI. Also, we represent those who are charged with a marijuana DUI, so whatever your charges, our attorneys are ready to represent you.

Having excellent representation is essential for a third time DUI offense is important because, as we just mentioned, the punishment is serious for those who are convicted of a third DUI. Prosecutors and judges view individuals who are charged with a third DUI as a person who has not learned their lesson despite having been punished twice for the same crime, as such, they believe that you should be punished more harshly in order to prevent you from continuing to drink and drive.

Drunk driving or driving while under the influence of marijuana and/or drugs has the potential to kill people and places the public at risk, as such, prosecutors and judges often impose high bail amounts and enhanced punishments to ensure that the offender does not continue to drive while under the influence. Also, the court may order you to wear an alcohol monitoring device known as SCRAM, as well as order you to attend alcoholics anonymous (AA) meetings. While wearing the alcohol monitoring device, if the device detects that you’ve consumed any measurable amount of alcohol, you may be sent back to jail.

Additionally, the judge may order that you be placed on five (5) years of probation, as well as having to serve 120 days in jail. Some judges are willing to allow the defendant to spend their jail time at home under house arrest. The court can assess fines of up to $3,000, as well order you to pay restitution to third parties, if you injured them.

Some judges are lenient, so instead of ordering an individual to spend thirty (30) days in jail, they may allow you to participate in the 30/30 program. Under the 30/30 program, a convicted individual spends 30 days in jail and agrees to participate in a 30-month program while he or she wears an alcohol monitoring bracelet that periodically tests for alcohol. If you’re allowed to go on the program, and you violate the terms of your probation, the court may send you back to jail to complete your sentence.


If you’ve been charged with a DUI third offense, the same rights that applied to your first and second DUI still apply, meaning that your attorney may be able to challenge your DUI on the grounds that the arresting officer lacked probable cause to stop you and that the evidence against you should, therefore, be deemed inadmissible. If your attorney is successful in doing so, he may be able to have the charges against you dropped or negotiate a favorable plea deal for you. Successfully challenging the stop is critical because, if successful, the prosecution cannot use the evidence it collected against you, which usually puts a big dent in the prosecution’s case. When this occurs, the prosecution will either dismiss the case, or it may be willing to give you a good plea deal.


If you or a loved one has been charged with or is being investigated for drunk driving, DWI, DUI, or marijuana DUI, you should contact Southern California and Los Angeles DUI attorneys at The H Law Group to represent you. Our attorneys are experienced and will guide throughout the criminal process. You can call us at 1-310-742-8801.